The objective of this policy is to allow the school to operate at a full capacity of 140 students with an average of 35 students per grade. The executive director and board of directors may increase one or more grade’s capacity by a resolution and without changing this policy. The executive director and board of directors may also cap a grade’s capacity based on staff availability.
General Statement of Policy
In accordance with MN State law 124E.11 ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND ENROLLMENT:
A. All students who submit timely applications to Kalon Prep Academy will be awarded places unless the number of applications exceeds the capacity of the program, class or grade level.
B. Kalon Prep Academy shall not discriminate against any student based on “race,” color, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, religion or creed, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, disability, intellectual ability, prior measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, or for any other basis that would be unlawful for a public or charter school.
C. Situations in which specific students must be given preference in admission include:
- siblings of an enrolled student and;
- foster children of an enrolled student’s parents;
- children of the school’s staff.
A. Each year, the executive director and the leadership team, with staff input, will determine the number and enrollment sizes, keeping in mind age mix, facility space, and staffing.
B. Students will be placed on the waiting list once the number of applications per grade exceeds 35 students or if a grade reaches its capacity based on staff/space availability.
C. If the number of student applications exceeds the space available, a lottery will be held as soon as feasible. If the number of applications does not exceed the space available at a given grade level, all applicants will be admitted and the enrollment process will continue. Applications will continue to be accepted after the enrollment period, admitting students at grade levels with space available and placing students on the waitlist once the lottery has been completed for grade levels already at capacity.
D. Should an opening occur, students from the list will then be admitted per grade until that grade is full. The open seat will be offered to students in order of application. Upon communication of the opening, the parent/guardian has five days to complete and submit the enrollment documents. If the forms are not completed and submitted, the student's name will be removed, and another student will be offered the spot.
E. If a grade is not full by August 1, additional students in any other grades may be admitted in order to maintain enrollment as set by the executive director in keeping with the objective of maintaining full enrollment for the school.
F. If any student, whether enrolled or on the waiting list, cancels their application or withdraws from Kalon Prep Academy, they shall lose their place. If they later re-apply, they shall be treated as a new student.
G. All applicants still on a waiting list at the beginning of the next enrollment period must submit a new application for enrollment and will be subject to the enrollment process described above. The waiting lists do not carry over from year to year.
H. Kalon Prep Academy is a 9-12 high school. Students must have completed 8th grade and be at least 14 years old by September 1 to be accepted at Kalon Prep Academy.
- The lottery shall be conducted for each grade with a waiting list.
- Student names are randomly drawn in the lottery process.
- Parents of students admitted to Kalon Prep Academy via the lottery process will be notified via e-mail within 5 business days. Upon communication of the opening, the parent/guardian has five days to complete the enrollment documents. If the forms are not completed and submitted, the student's name will be removed, and another student will be offered the spot.
- Students not chosen in the lottery will be placed on a waiting list by the same lottery process described above, and their parents/guardian will be notified of their student’s placement ranking on the waiting list. If anyone declines the opportunity to enroll, the next child on the waiting list will be offered the spot.
- After the enrollment lottery, names will continue to be added to the bottom of the waiting list in the order in which their applications are received. Siblings of enrolled students applying after the enrollment lottery shall receive sibling preference and be placed at the top of the waiting list in the order in which their applications are received.
- When a vacancy occurs during the school year, it may or may not be filled, at the discretion of Kalon Prep Academy. Such vacancies will be filled, if at all, in order from the waiting list.
Adopted: 06/21/2021 Kalon Prep Academy Charter School Board Reviewed and Approved
Revised: 06/30/2022 Kalon Prep Academy Charter School Board Reviewed and Approved
Legal References: Minn. In accordance with MN State law 124E.11
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND ENROLLMENT