The Kalon Approach
To meet students where they are and guide them where they want to go. We will do so by listening, leading and launching them on a path to become the best version of themselves.
At Kalon Prep, we strive to ensure each student is:
Each student learns about and practices a healthy lifestyle.
Kalon Prep Academy will offer:
- Daily physical indoor and outdoor activities
- Healthy breakfast and lunch options
- An on-campus food shelf
- Wellness curriculum
Each student learns in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for students.
Kalon Prep Academy will have:
- A welcoming campus culture
- Trained staff in the areas of diversity, restorative practices, and trauma
- A secure entrance
- A crisis plan
Each student is actively engaged in learning and is connected to the school and broader community.
Kalon Prep Academy will ensure student engagement by:
- Identify student strengths using the Clifton Strengths Finder assessment
- Use StrengthsQuest curriculum
- Create partnerships with area businesses, service organizations and Alexandria Technical & Community College.
- Integrating curriculum whenever possible.
- Using curriculum-related experiences such as field trips and outreach projects to complement and extend our curriculum and instruction.
- Deepening student understanding of what they are learning and why they are learning it.
- Guiding students in effective decision making, goal setting, and time management.
Each student has access to personalized learning and is supported by qualified, caring adults.
Kalon Prep Academy will accomplish this by:
- Committing to a small student:staff ratio
- Hiring staff that is passionate about working with teenagers
- Providing on-site therapy
- Facilitate access to health care
- Using the Next Generation Assessment Portfolio System for grading
Each student is challenged academically and prepared for success in college or employment.
Kalon Prep Academy will include:
- Opportunities for students to take college credit courses
- Have students complete career inventories
- Take students on industry tours
- Time to observe at sites of interest
- College tours